Tuesday, January 6, 2009

PRODUCTIVE

1: having the quality or power of producing especially in abundance


I'm not feeling terribly productive today. This is not a good thing, since I've been off of work for a few weeks and there's plenty to do both in planning for the 2009 year and the actual doing for the 2009 year. I wish thoughts were more highly valued than productivity. I'm in the mood on this rainy day to finish reading my book, write in my journal, blog a bit and drink a few cups of hot tea. None of those activities have the quality or power of producing anything. I think part of my desire for introspection rather than action stems from the fact that our holidays were jam-packed with family, travel and fun and low on quiet moments of rest and reflection.

I'm not sure when I'll fit in rest and reflection with grants awaiting completion, preparation for next week's board meeting and prioritizing the other work that needs doing.

This morning, I wrote some before I came to work in the hopes that scratching that itch before coming to the office would free my mind to focus on Rejoice. That's not working terribly well at the moment. But I'll continue plugging away because while my meager salary doesn't provide for my family's basic needs of food, clothing and shelter, it does pay for Kate's child care. Besides, if I don't do this work, I'm not sure who will.

Here's to productivity over introspection!

1 comment:

Chris and Tiana said...

I'm just getting back in to reading blogs again after being so busy over the holidays. I have to say, I missed your writing, my friend! I'm feeling this lack of desire for productivity right now, too. After a month of traveling, family visiting, more traveling, sickness, more sickness, laundry, blah blah blah, I really want to lie on the couch and read a book. But then I look at all the laundry that's piled up and the absolute destruction in my house and wonder what's more important? I guess I haven't decided since at the moment I'm doing neither- I'm reading your blog instead:)