Sunday, October 12, 2008

COURAGE

noun
: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty

Ruth 1:16-22
My Bible study group is studying the book of Ruth this fall. We always start a study with a book chart, which requires reading the book through multiple times to get a good feel for the overall book and seeing the book as a whole. I'll admit that after spending time on this book, I was not left with a favorable impression of Ruth. The night that we shared our book charts, someone in the group said she wished she were more like Ruth. I wrote down "Do I want to be more like Ruth?" that night.


The main thing I didn't like about Ruth was that she seemed to just obey Naomi without question. Now, unquestioning obedience is supposed to have a prominent place in the Christian faith, it's just not something that comes easily to me. I essentially saw Ruth as weak because she obeyed Naomi's instruction to put herself at Boaz's mercy. What I didn't really see until this week was that Ruth put herself at God's mercy long before meeting Boaz.


For a large portion of Chapter 1, Naomi urges Ruth and her sister-in-law, Orpah, to return to their homeland instead of continuing on with her. After two speeches from Naomi, Orpah relents and goes home. Naomi gives it one more go with Ruth, but Ruth replies with a passionate speech of loyalty to Naomi that you may have heard as part of a wedding (where you go, I will go...). The text says that after this speech, Naomi sees Ruth was 'determined.' The Hebrew for this word can also be translated as 'courageous.' Ruth was certain and steadfast in her decision to accompany Naomi. So steadfast, in fact, that Naomi quits trying to persuade her and ignores her for the rest of the journey.


Seeing Ruth as courageous changed my perspective on her. She did not take the easy road. Ruth went as a foreigner to a land where she was not only leaving her family behind, but her customs, her home and her gods. Ruth had clearly thought all of this through because she did not waver when Naomi tried multiple times to get her to return to Moab. She was courageous and determined.


Seeing Ruth's determination to do what was right in God's eyes rather than taking the known path made me think about my own fears in going where God sends me, staying where He puts me and doing the work He gives me. It feels somewhat courageous to write this. Writing is a creative outlet, but it's intimidating to put my thoughts, emotions and fears into words, especially written words.


As an avid reader, I know there are many great writers in the world. What can my small contribution possibly be worth? For right now, I'm trying to focus on listening to the command to write and not on the relative value of what I am writing. If the only value this writing brings is that I have a forum for creating something, that will have to be enough.

No comments: