Saturday, October 11, 2008

BOOK

1 a: a set of written sheets of skin or paper or tablets of wood or ivory b: a set of written, printed, or blank sheets bound together into a volume c: a long written or printed literary composition d: a major division of a treatise or literary work e: a record of a business's financial transactions or financial condition —often used in plural books show a profit> f: magazine 4a g: e-book
2
capitalized : bible
3: something that yields knowledge or understanding book of nature> book>
4 a
(1): the total available knowledge and experience that can be brought to bear on a task or problem book> (2): inside information or analysis book on him is that he can't hit a curveball> b: the standards or authority relevant in a situation book>
5 a: all the charges that can be made against an accused person book at him> b: a position from which one must answer for certain acts : account book>
6 a
: libretto b: the script of a play c: a book of arrangements for a musician or dance orchestra : musical repertory
7: a packet of items bound together like a book book of stamps> book of matches>
8 a
: bookmaker b: the bets registered by a bookmaker ; also : the business or activity of giving odds and taking bets
9: the number of tricks a cardplayer or side must win before any trick can have scoring value


Our local library had a book sale Saturday. $1 for hardcovers, $.50 for paperbacks, $.50 for young adult novels. A & I went and spent $13.50 on 26 books. What a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning. Books hold so much potential. They can take us places we can never go, teach us about ourselves, move us and change us. I love that my daughters love books. K has yet to be truly passionate about them, but she's 4, so I'm going to pray that she will grow to love them as much as the rest of us do.


I'm reading a book
right now that's set partially in 1250 B.C. Modern day Nantucket is transported centuries back in time, so the main characters face major adjustments when the fundamentals of their existence change immeasurably. One of the things I've thought a lot about is that I don't think I would be who I am had I been born in another time. I simply can not imagine an existence without books. What would be the point? How could I get enough mental distance from my life to process what my life is about?


One striking thing is that the characters living in 1250 B.C. are not interested in "processing" their lives. They are focused on survival, something that I take remarkably for granted. But I can't get away from the fact that I do have books readily available to me. I have a wonderful library system, that has virtually any book I want, if I'm willing to wait long enough to read it.


This morning, before the book sale, A came into the kitchen and told my husband and I "We are acting like the typical family on a fall Saturday. We're all reading books!" I laughed and told her that not everyone loves books the way we do. She shrugged that off and replied that it was still the perfect way for us to spend the morning. I couldn't agree more!

No comments: