Tuesday, September 23, 2008

CREATE

transitive verb
1
: to bring into existence created the heaven and the earth — Genesis 1:1(Authorized Version)>
2 a
: to invest with a new form, office, or rank created a lieutenant> b: to produce or bring about by a course of action or behavior created a terrible fuss> <create new jobs>
3
: cause , occasion creates high food prices>
4 a
: to produce through imaginative skill <create a painting> b: design <creates dresses>

intransitive verb
1: to make or bring into existence something new
2
: to set up a scoring opportunity in basketball <create off the dribble>

A few weeks ago at a luncheon, I received a stone with the word "create" on it. Each attendee was given a stone and they all had different words on them. I immediately loved my stone and what I took to be a command to create. I put the stone in my kitchen so that I would see it and remember when I'm cooking that I am doing more than meeting my family's nutritional needs when I cook. I am creating meals, memories and moments.

The stone is still in the kitchen where I will see it, but more and more, I feel the need to create with words. That's one reason I started this blog and continue to make time to eke out entries. Having been out of school and away from grammar books for so long, I'm a little rusty on the difference between a transitive and intransitive verb, so I'm not sure whether the best definition for what I do when creating is "to make or bring into existence something new" or "to produce through imaginative skill."

It seems like imaginative skill is required for writing a novel, not a blog. It also seems rather bold to say that I am bringing something new into existence, but I guess the beauty of words is that they can be strung together in innumerable ways and the way I am putting them together right now is technically new.

What's interesting is that the term create carries with it no value assessment. I am creating something here, but whether that something is worthwhile is a post for another day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so the new definition is: to make or bring into existence something new through imaginative skill...i'm glad you're doing both..keep writing...
aimee