Sunday, March 11, 2012

INTROVERT

: one whose personality is characterized by introversion (the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life)

Are you an introvert?  Do you know one?  Love one?  If so, I encourage you to take a few minutes and listen to this TED Talk by Susan Cain, author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking.  I've read the book - and loved it.  If you're not an introvert, an entire book devoted to the subject may be a bit too much for you.  But Cain's TED Talk is less than 20 minutes and will help you understand why the world can be a difficult place for an introvert - and why our world needs what introverts have to offer.

Here's the thing: this talk made me cry.  I've spent a lot of time recently thinking about the word radiance and why it is so scary for me.  The bottom line?  I equate being seen with being used - and radiant people are generally seen.  That realization has had me grappling with how to feel valued without feeling used.  Cain's talk brought tears because it made me feel valued as someone who is different than what the world tell us the ideal should be.  It also challenged me to not be so afraid to share what's going on inside my head.

So watch the video linked above and see whether it makes you see yourself - and those around you a tiny bit differently.  Because that would be a gift, wouldn't it?

No comments: