Friday, April 3, 2009

NOURISHMENT

1 a: nutriment: something that nourishes or promotes growth, provides energy, repairs body tissues, and maintains life

Even more so than usual, it's been a week for thinking. This week has brought more than its share of heartache, sadness and questions for me. I noticed a few weeks ago how much I enjoy just sitting and thinking. While it might be seen as daydreaming, it feeds my soul to have quiet, contemplative time. The problem is that "quiet, contemplative time" can be hard to come by as a mom of three young girls who works part-time. But I have found this time is essential for me. It may be hard to come by, but it is worth the effort.

My lesson this week in Waking Up Grey is about self-care and our assignment is to create a collage that shows the things that nourish us. Part of the reason we do this is "If you want to do good for others, you must not be a stranger to what good feels like." I believe women have an especially difficult time nourishing our souls. This is ironic, since many of us spend countless hours nourishing the bodies and souls of our families. How can I offer my children what they need if I don't take time to satiate my own needs? How can I give them what "promotes growth and provide energy" if I can't recognize those things?

So what nourishes you? Is it time laughing with friends over shared experiences? A cup of hot tea on a cold day? A light scone that crumbles in your mouth? A gentle breeze off the lake? The smell of salt in the air? An early morning run? A few hours spent screaming with fellow fans at a ball game?

If you don't know, find out. I know what nourishes me: quiet, a good book, a cup of hot tea or coffee, sunshine of my face, a piece of great chocolate, art, art and more art. And only when I make the time for these seemingly frivolous things will I be nourished. Only then can I
maintain a life worth living.

2 comments:

RBM said...

Amen. I'm so glad that you are embracing books and other seemingly "frivolous" things as your nourishment. So hard for us women to remember that our simple pleasures are important too.

Variations On A Theme said...

Felt nourished yesterday by raking giant bagfuls of magnolia leaves and then mowing the yard.

Being anywhere outside on a beautiful day. (Or even a not-so-beautiful day.)

Reading and music.