Monday, September 6, 2010

PERSPECTIVE

2 b : the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance

So much of life is about the proper perspective.  Last Thursday was a rough day. Friday's solution of playing games, analyzing Canterbury Tales and having Chick-fil-A for lunch helped.  So did a long weekend with not much planned.  And chatting tonight with another mom new to the journey of home schooling gave me the perspective shift I need heading into a short week starting tomorrow.

We both agreed that when we're in the midst of connecting a key point from history to our lives with our daughters or laughing over something together, this journey we're on is a great one.  It's when we fail to meet expectations - especially our own expectations - that we lose perspective.  The main reason I lose perspective?  I turn my focus inward instead of seeing things in their relative importance.

When my perspective is off, I'm zeroed in on all that I did wrong, all that I should have done, all that I want to do better.  Notice a key word here?  I.  It's all about me when my perspective is off.  And this journey?  It's not really all about me.  Not at all.

The main reason I lose perspective is that one emotion overtakes me: shame.  And shame pulls my focus so inward that I can't see anything else.  I've been trying to better understand shame and its presence in my life.  I have a long way to go in keeping shame in its proper place, but I think part of the key is in what I focus on.  I spent some time recently reading about what God says about shame.  One verse stood out to me: Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.

Of course their faces aren't covered with shame - they are looking up.  Just like I should be if I want to maintain a proper perspective.  Just like you should be if your focus isn't making you radiant.  Because that's how we're all meant to be - radiantly beautiful, reflecting our maker with joy.  Let's all try to keep that in perspective.

Radiant Girls

No comments: