Sunday, September 21, 2008

DUTY

1: conduct due to parents and superiors : respect
2 a
: obligatory tasks, conduct, service, or functions that arise from one's position (as in life or in a group) b (1): assigned service or business (2): active military service (3): a period of being on duty
3 a: a moral or legal obligation b: the force of moral obligation
4
: tax ; especially : a tax on imports
5 a
: work 1a b (1): the service required (as of an electric machine) under specified conditions (2): functional application : use duty out of the trip> (3): use as a substitute duty for the thing — Edward Sapir>

Tonight I was asked my favorite movie. It was not a tough decision to name Roman Holiday. It has many assets: Audrey Hepburn is beautiful, silly and generally wonderful, the setting is Rome (!) and the pacing of the plot is wonderful. But the main thing I love about Roman Holiday is the scene where Hepburn (a princess) has returned from her "holiday" with Cary Grant and is lectured by her governess about her duty to her country. Audrey pulls herself up and tells the woman that she is never to lecture her about her duty. The governess doesn't know, but the young princess would never have returned were it not for duty. I love that Roman Holiday ends with Audrey Hepburn's character doing what is right - and not running away with a man she just met, even if she did fall in love with him. It's not a trademarked Hollywood Happy Ending, but it is so much better than the two of them riding off into the sunset.

Thinking about my favorite movie and favorite scene within the movie made me think about what duty is and what its implications are for self and others. What are my responsibilities and obligations to myself? As a mother of three young children who are all involved in after-school activities, I am often the last person I think of. I know this is not wise. I know I risk burn-out or worse by not taking better care of my physical, emotional and spiritual needs, but I've been stretched thin recently to make the necessary adjustments to our back-to-school and back to after-school activities schedules. It's been hard to get up at 5:30 a.m. to run, but I know deep down that's exactly what I should do.

What are the
"obligatory tasks, conduct, service, or functions that arise from my position" as a wife? Am I giving my husband enough of my time, attention and energy? Am I encouraging him in his gifts, caring for him and loving him well? He has been so helpful in making sure B & K are at their soccer practices and games, and has helped with not only shuttling children, but cooking dinner and other household duties. Am I honoring that with a thankful heart or taking it for granted?

What are the
"obligatory tasks, conduct, service, or functions that arise from my position" as a mother? Yes, I make sure my daughters are fed, dressed and at their respective activities. Am I loving them through all of it? I am, but do they know it? Am I finding moments to share my heart with them or am I too tired to do that?

At my Bible Study tonight, someone said she wants to be more like Ruth. I'm not sure whether I want to be more like Ruth - she follows her cranky mother-in-law to another country, obeys her without question and puts herself out on a limb by going to a man in the middle of the night to offer herself for marriage. She does these things with a quiet confidence (that part I would like) and without complaint (I could use some of that), but blind obedience and ready compliance do not come easy to me. Who I know I want to be like is Audrey Hepburn's character from Roman Holiday. I want to see my duties to myself and others and embrace them. I want to be bold in knowing that I'm doing the best I can.

No comments: